Announcing South Carolina’s First LEED Grocery Store
Summary of Food Lion Store #2157 Columbia, S.C.
- Sky lighting and automatic light dimming systems were installed to maximize
the use of natural lighting and to minimize the use energy.
- The roofing system is an Energy Star rated system for reflectivity to deflect
heat from being absorbed in the building which decreases utility use.
- Bicycle racks to encourage bike commuting and preferential parking for low-emitting
and fuel efficient vehicles is furnished for the customers.
- Water efficient landscaping is installed to minimize the need for irrigation to the vegetation.
- The construction waste for this project was effectively diverted from the landfill
by a recycling program. We also required manufacturers to use alternate shipping methods
to ship their products to the site.
- Water efficient restroom and prep room fixtures reduce the consumption of water by up to 30%.
- Recycling bins are installed throughout the store to allow customers and associates
to recycle their plastic, metal, and paper.
- Green power was purchased for the store to further minimize the carbon foot-print of the building.
- Commissioning: In-depth testing and balancing of the HVAC to insure accurate system
function, which will reduce operational costs, energy consumption, and promote a healthy atmosphere for employees.
- HVAC systems are CFC free which reduces ozone depletion with an air delivery monitoring
system to promote and sustain long-term occupant comfort and well being.
- Low-emitting adhesives, sealants, paints, and coatings were used in the store to improve indoor air quality.
- Two sustainable education kiosks were installed in the store to educate the public regarding green
initiatives and personal steps to improve recycling and reduce water and energy use.
- The building is a non-smoking facility with a designated smoking area outside of the store.
- The exterior lighting does not cause light pollution or spill on to adjacent property owners.