We want to bring you the healthiest, most sustainable seafood possible, and to teach you safe practices and preparation skills. And, all this at a great price and so close to home.
One of our standards is our devotion to helping you make smart and sustainable seafood choices. We put continuous improvement at the top of our list with programs like our partnership with the Gulf of Maine Research Institute to improve on the sustainability of seafood products, even beyond what is required by regulatory agencies.
Find out more about sustainability »
Quality & Freshness
We source both, Fresh and Frozen Seafood from the world oceans, lakes, and aquaculture facilities. The process outlined below ensures quality and freshness is delivered to you, our valued customers.
- All Seafood sold in Food Lion stores must pass stringent requirements for freshness and quality as it is being processed by our suppliers in a controlled environment.
- All Seafood is inspected for quality and freshness as it arrives at our Distribution Centers. The Quality Assurance Teams perform a quality check and temperature verification to insure our Seafood arrives at the optimum temperature.
- All Seafood is delivered to our stores separated by specie in leak-proof packaging to prevent cross contamination and to maintain the integrity of the product.
- The final inspection is done at the store by our Meat/Seafood department Associates as they prepare the product for sale.
- Food Lion Seafood is merchandised and sold using different presentations based on the operating area and store design.
- You can be assured that the Seafood that you purchase at Food Lion is equal to or better than the Seafood that you will purchase at any competitor, regardless of the presentation.
Benefits of Packaged Seafood
- The packaged Fresh Seafood that you purchase in many Food Lion stores is the same quality and freshness that you find in a seafood department that displays their Fresh Seafood on Ice or behind a glass.
- Packaged Seafood is very convenient for shoppers that are pressed for time, simply make your selection and proceed on with the remainder of your shopping.
- The Country of Origin is clearly marked on each package of Fresh Seafood (does not apply to cooked, marinated or seasoned).
- Packaged Seafood retains moisture which delivers a delicious eating experience and also enables you to determine the weight and the price that you will be paying based on your needs.
- The peel back label has cooking methods for your convenience printed underneath the label located in the lower left corner of each package.
Previously Frozen Seafood
- All seafood sold in Food Lion stores is fresh, unless identified on the label as previously frozen.
- Previously frozen seafood is necessary because of seasonal availability of species and is equal to or better than fresh seafood because in many cases the fish are caught and processed immediately on the vessel rather than being iced down and traveling 2, 3 or 4 days back to port. The constant improvement in technologies of the freezing process provides a great benefit in product quality and enhances your eating experience.