Food Lion: An EPA Energy Star Partner
Accomplishments In Conservation
Food Lion has received the ENERGY STAR Sustained Excellence award - 9 in a row as of 2010 -
in recognition for our exceptional success in integrating energy efficiency and environmental
protection as key strategies in the company's management approach.
Key Accomplishments Include:
- Improving energy efficiency by almost 30% since 2000, despite an increase in the total number of stores
- Saving more than $1.1 million and 45 billion Btu across its portfolio in 2008 alone
- Decreasing energy consumption by 4% in 2008 across 500 stores that participated in demand control and peak load reduction programs
- Developing user-friendly monthly reports that detail each store's energy use and capital costs to help employees identify and audit stores that consume high amounts of energy
- Initiating an energy mentoring program with affiliated chains to promote energy management best practices
- Communicating its commitment to energy management and environmental protection to customers and employees by displaying stickers on the doors of every store promoting the company's partnership with ENERGY STAR and EPA's Green Chill program.
- Reducing the price of compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulbs during October to celebrate Energy Awareness Month