10 Easy Breakfast Ideas for Under $10
You know that age-old cliché: breakfast is the most important meal of the day. And that's especially true for kids. But, as parents, we know breakfast is not easy in the midst of the busy morning rush. That's why preparation is key for breakfast success; by preparing ahead of time, you can knock out all the stress and start your day off on the right foot.
The ideas below are easy, delicious and perfect to prepare ahead of time and grab throughout the week on your way out the door. Plus, these ideas are budget friendly—each only $10 or less.
- Hardboiled Eggs: Prepare your eggs at the beginning of the week in your Instant Pot. Simply place the eggs at the bottom of the pot and set to manual for five minutes. Once finished, release the steam, cover with ice water and peel the shells for a perfect hard boiled egg! Store the eggs for up to a week to grab and go.
- Customizable Oatmeal Muffins: Oatmeal muffins are the perfect quick breakfast option. You can make them ahead of time with your own toppings and keep them refrigerated for up to a week. Test out different recipes each week.
- Healthy-Make Veggies: Sauté onions, green peppers and sweet potato. Top with a poached egg and store ahead in the refrigerator. This meal is absolutely delicious and filling!
- Simple Berry Parfait: Pick up a mason jar and layer fruit, granola and yogurt until full. Seal and take for an easy breakfast on the run!
- Microwave Omelet: Grab a coffee cup and add chopped peppers and onions. Then, top with two eggs. Cook in microwave for 1 minute and season with salt and pepper. Just like that you'll have an omelet in a cup ready to go.
- Make-Ahead Burritos: Take a little time at the beginning of the week to make your favorite burritos with sausage, peppers, onion and egg. Freeze or refrigerate for the rest of the week.
- Smoothie Packs: Clean and prepare your favorite fruits and greens, separate into single-serve Ziploc bags. Throw the bags in the freezer and grab when you're ready for a delicious smoothie. Simply mix the frozen fruit, yogurt and your preferred liquid (water, milk and/or juice).
- Breakfast Bowls: Using a Rubbermaid container, fill with cooked potatoes, peppers and onions as well as scrambled eggs and top with shredded cheese. Seal the container and place in refrigerator. When you're ready, simply pop into the microwave for about 45 seconds and you're on your way!
- Make Ahead Oats: Fill a mason jar about 1/2 way with dry oats and top with your favorite freeze dried fruits. When you're ready, fill with hot water or milk and you'll have delicious oatmeal.
- Smoothie Bowls: Hands down, delicious and nutritious. Start by creating your favorite smoothie, this will be the base of the smoothie bowl. The easiest and most customizable are banana smoothies — simply blended frozen bananas and your choice of milk. Then, pour mixture into a bowl and add your favorite toppings, whether it be fruit, granola, chia seeds, almond butter, cacao nibs, or a combination of each.
Breakfast doesn't have to come out of a box, take a little time at the beginning of your week to plan your meals and you'll find these budget friendly ideas hit the spot!