Free Things You Can Do with Your Family This Holiday Season
The holiday season is here, and that means it's time to discover fun Christmas activities for kids. With all the expenses of the season, you may want to build in some free Christmas activities for families. Here are some ideas to get you started.
Kicking It Indoors
Forts holiday style: The weather is cooling off and even getting cold in some places. If the day isn't suitable for outdoor play, you can still find much to do inside. Build a fort world with holiday flair. Use chairs and other furniture to drape blankets over, creating a traditional fort. Outfit your fortress with holiday pillows and throws, creating a warm and cozy space. Add a battery-operated set of lights to brighten the space. Enjoy cocoa and snacks like gingerbread cookies.
- Host a movie marathon: Who can resist all the Christmas movies? Host a marathon of your favorites. This activity is ideal for days if you have kids down with colds or the flu, too.
- Holiday musical chairs: Play the same game you know and love, but use holiday music. This activity can be made into a game at a holiday party, too.
- Christmas carol karaoke: If you have a karaoke game or machine, that's great! There's no need to stress if you don't. Just turn on the tunes and sing away. You can even pull up YouTube videos to sing along with.
Braving the Outdoors
- Neighborhood caroling: Bundle up, get out and spread some cheer. Organize a holiday caroling night in your neighborhood. Everyone will enjoy it, and the fresh air is a welcome treat after so much time inside.
- Snow fun: If the weather becomes frightful, make it delightful with a yard filled with snowmen and snow forts. If you have gentle hills nearby, take an afternoon off to go sledding. Everyone might need a nap after hours of play in the snow.
- Write letters or draw pictures to send to troops overseas. You can also write letters or color holiday pictures for local veterans.
- Give your time to work in a shelter serving meals. Or, collect canned goods and toys for food and present drives.
- Offer to shovel snow or rake leaves for the elderly in your community.
There are many free activities you can do over the holidays that are both special and fun. Mix these activities in with your traditions for an amazing holiday season.