From celebrating with family at home, to going to New Year's Eve parties with friends, this holiday is known for fun times, happy occasions and great food. How are you planning to celebrate this year?
You can make your holiday even more memorable with these 30 New Year's Eve party ideas that go beyond standing around teh television waiting for the ball to drop. From family-friendly themes and decorations to games and budget-friendly recipes, we'll help you ring in a happier and healthier new year, whether you're spending it with two or 20-plus guests.
New Year's Eve Party Ideas: Themes and Decorations
1. Champagne-Tasting Party: Just like a wine-tasting party, you can have a few champagne bottles from around the world to taste. And don't forget the cheese and crackers for the perfect pairing.
2. New Year's in Paris: Indulge without travel. Create a Parisian-styled party with French cuisine and drink plus Eiffel Tower decor.
Need some ideas for your French menu? Here are a few of our favorite go-to recipes:
3. New Year's In Times Square: There's no need to fight the crowd of millions of people when you can recreate New York City's Time Square in your home or party venue. For this New Year's Eve Party Idea, set up Big Apple decor, serve Manhattan-style food (think hot dogs, hot pretzels with mustard, and gyros), and hand up a disco ball that drops at midnight.
4. Elegant New Year's Colors: For a sophisticated color theme, stick to blush pink, white, and gold colors for an adult-centric party.
5. Capture the Memories: Create a photo booth to commemorate the night. Have everyone do selfies in front of a display or hire a family member - even your kids - to take photos throughout the night.
6. Black-and-White Ball: Carry the color theme from food and fashion to decor. Send tasteful black-and-white invites and have everyone dress in black and white only. Then, decorate the same color scheme and serve as many themed food and drinks as you can think of. For instance, how about some over sized black-and-white cookies?
7. Glow The Night: Ideal for kids and teans, a glow party involves neon foods and drinks, plus glow accessories like necklaces. It really makes for a fun event. Ask everyone to dress in black and put up black light bulbs in all of your light fixtures.
8. White Lights, Candles and Glitter: That's essentially all you need for a magical New Year's Eve party. Hang strands of white lights, put them in jars and bowls, light white candles and serve food on tableware and linens that are glittery. Make foods with edible glitter, like cupcakes with glitter icing, to complete the look for this New Year's Eve party idea.
9. The Last Feast: Before honoring all of those New Year's resolutions, throw a feast. Ask everyone to bring an indulgent dish or item to add to the feast.
10. New Year's Pampering Party: Throw a spa night for your closest friends. Relax, pamper yourself, and celebrate New Year's in your most luxurious robes after a night of mani-pedis and facials.
New Year's Eve Party Ideas: Games
11. Answer the Question: Go around the room and have everyone finish the following sentence: "In the coming year, I will . . ."
12. Pop Culture Trivia: Come up with 20 trivia questions about events that happened throughout the year. Keep it cultural, political (if you dare), or personal.
13. New Year's Sparklers: If weather permits, go outside at the stroke of midnight and light up the sky with safe, handheld sparklers.
14. Reading Resolutions: Have everyone write down a resolution and put it in a hat. Everyone chooses one to read out loud and guess who wrote it.
15. New Year's Eve Scavenger Hunt: Hide New Year's Eve-themed items around the party space, such as a plastic champagne glass, New Year's greeting card, New Year's party hat, a noisemaker, and a calendar for the year. The guest who finds the most takes home a prize.
16. Best Moments: Print out cards that say "best conversation I had this year," "best meal I had this year," and more. Have guests pick a card and share their responses.
17. New Year's Mad Libs: Look for printables online and laugh until your belly hurts.
New Year's Even Party Ideas: Recipes
18. Invite family and friends to a midnight brunch: Serve favorite breakfast and lunch foods. Include mimosa-and-champagne bar. For kids, have a soda-and-juice bar.
19. Make a Large Cheese-and-Meat Charcuterie Tray to last the night.
20. Make a Large Dessert buffet so everyone can sample sweets.
21. Bake festive stuffed bread: Unroll 1 tube of refrigerated French bread dough, season with pepper, and cover the dough with prosciutto or ham. Roll it into a log. Twist and shape the log into a circle. Pinch the ends. Place it on a baking sheet with parchment paper. Brush the load with olive oil and bake it for 20 minutes at 375 degrees until golden brown. Brush with more oil and bake for 5 minutes.
22. Health Nut Menu: Serve only the healthiest versions of items. Make avocado deviled eggs, chocolate-covered almonds and a black bean dip.
23. Bake New Year's Champagne Glass Cookies: Find cookie cutters in the shape of champagne flutes and bake sugar cookies. Frost them with gold and white icing. Use edible gold dust for the champagne and white for the bubbles.
24. Indulge in champagne goodies for your New Year's Eve party. Our New Year’s Eve party ideas 25 through 30 are some tasty examples. Follow the links to get the recipes.
25. Bake Pink Champagne Cookies. For adults only, these sugar cookies are splashed with a bit of champagne.
26. Drink Champagne Floats, but for kids, swap in sparkling pink lemonade.
27. Make the easiest Champagne Cheese Spread.
28. Bake Sparkling Champagne Cupcakes with glitter.
29. Serve Champagne Turkey Meatballs as appetizers.
30. Whip up Champagne Cake Balls to serve with champagne.
For more New Year's recipes, visit Foodlion.com. You can even find budget-friendly alternatives to champagne for your party. With these 30 New Year’s Eve party ideas, you’re ready to start planning the perfect bash. The key is to pick and choose a handful of ideas to bring to life. Otherwise, party planning can get a little overwhelming. Now, get ready to make some treats, celebrate with loved ones and create cheerful memories.