July is known for warm, sunny days, the 4th of July holiday and summer break for the kiddos, but did you know that it’s also National Ice Cream Month? As if you needed another reason to enjoy a bowl of your favorite ice cream, right?
From classic vanilla and chocolate to more creative flavors, cones and sandwiches, there are lots of ice cream options to choose from at your neighborhood Food Lion. And did we mention they’re at low prices, especially when you shop our brands? But, if you’re wanting to celebrate National Ice Cream Month a little differently this year, we have some ideas in this blog that can help!
Now, keep reading to get all four ideas on how to celebrate National Ice Cream Month with your family.
How to Celebrate National Ice Cream Month
Take Store-Bought Treats to the Next Level
Holidays are all about having fun with your family. So, let’s keep this one stress-free with an easy way to celebrate National Ice Cream Month. All you have to do is pick up your favorite store-bought treat, such as brownies or cookies from your Food Lion bakery or maybe even frozen waffles, and create some sweet masterpieces with your family with a variety of toppings and of course, ice cream.
And speaking of frozen waffles, here’s some inspiration to help you with your ice cream festivities. These Mini Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches are bite-sized, adorable and so simple to make - a great dessert to put together with the little ones. All you’ll need is frozen mini waffles, vanilla ice cream and rainbow sprinkles.
Crafting these creative ice cream sandwiches is as easy as 1-2-3:
- Toast the mini waffles until golden brown. Carefully separate them and allow to cool.
- Spread a spoonful of vanilla ice cream on half of the waffles and top with another.
- Add sprinkles all around, partially covering the ice cream.
You can also choose to top your waffle treats with whipped cream and small slices of fresh strawberries from our produce department. However, if you decide to pick up cookies or brownies instead of waffles, try chopping them up and mixing them into your ice cream along with your favorite toppings.
Make Your Own Ice Cream
If you have a little extra time on your hands, making your own ice cream is the perfect way to honor the holiday dedicated to this beloved frozen dessert. From strawberry and peach to ButterfingerⓇ, we have a collection of ice cream recipes to try. Find the perfect one that your family will love on our recipe portal!
And since it’s summertime and peaches are in season, let’s take a closer look at how to incorporate this orange seasonal fruit into homemade ice cream. You’ll only need five ingredients, including peaches, sweetened condensed milk, heavy cream, milk and sugar, plus an ice cream maker. Or for dairy-free ice cream, swap the milk and cream for coconut milk.
Learn more and snag the recipe directions here!
Enjoy an Ice Cream Sundae Bar at Home
Our third idea for celebrating National Ice Cream Month is easy and lots of fun for the whole family - an ice cream sundae bar! Plan an afternoon or evening making ice cream sundaes with the kids. Then, eat them outside on the back patio or on the couch watching a movie.
You’ll, of course, need one or two flavors of ice cream, as well as rainbow sprinkles, chocolate syrup and whipped cream. Besides those classic toppings, here are some other tasty options:
- Chopped nuts
- Mini marshmallows
- Mini chocolate chips
- Graham crackers (crushed)
- Fresh strawberries (chopped)
- Caramel syrup
- Brownie mini muffins
Put a Spin on Ice Cream Sandwiches
Enjoying an ice cream sandwich is another simple way to celebrate National Ice Cream Month. Two soft, rectangular chocolate cookies and creamy vanilla ice cream - what’s not to love? But, if you want to try something new for the holiday, here are a few ideas to put to the taste test:
- Rice Krispies TreatsⓇ Sandwiches: Whip up a batch of Rice KrispiesⓇ Treats, add some sprinkles for color (optional) and evenly spread onto a greased cookie sheet. Refrigerate for about 15 minutes, then cut into circles using a round cookie cutter or drinking glass. And finally, spread a layer of vanilla ice cream between two Rice Krispies Treats circles.
- Ice Cream & Cookie Sandwiches: Either pick up some fresh-baked cookies from your Food Lion bakery or bake your favorite cookie recipe. Chocolate chip cookies with vanilla ice cream is a great combination, but you could also try peanut butter cookies with chocolate or sugar cookies with strawberry ice cream.
- Glazed Donut-wiches: Pick up a pack of glazed donuts, then cut them in half (through the side), so you have a top and bottom. Spread a small scoop of your favorite ice cream flavor - like strawberry, chocolate or cookies ‘n creme - over the bottom half of a donut, place the top-half and add some whipped cream.
How will you celebrate National Ice Cream Month this year? Whether you choose one of our ideas above or come up with your own, keep in mind that your local Food Lion is your destination for your ice cream eating essentials at low prices that’ll help make the holiday even sweeter. Now, for the biggest decision - which flavor or flavors to choose?