In 2001, Food Lion created a 501(c)(3) foundation operated by a volunteer board of directors in order to streamline requests for financial donations to eliminate hunger.
The Food Lion Feeds Charitable Foundation supports a variety of hunger-related initiatives, including "Feeding the Hungry" grants each year. The foundation has given away more than $10 million across Food Lion’s operating area since its inception. Specifically, grants support children at risk of hunger and support feeding agencies by helping to increase their "fresh" capacity so families can put nutritious meals on their tables. The foundation also helps provide nutrition education to eliminate the health risks of the hungry.
Foundation grants are focused on feeding the hungry and can only be used for the purchase of food in support of your organizations hunger-relief efforts and are accepted bi-annually:
Spring: January 15 through March 15, 2021
Fall: July 1 through September 15, 2021
Organizations are only eligible to apply every 12 months.
The Food Lion Feeds Charitable Foundation limits grant awards to organizations based in or providing support in the 10 states in which we operate (within a 20 mile radius of a Food Lion store): Delaware, Georgia, Kentucky, Maryland, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia.
Completed application should include:
- Online application form (completely filled out);
- Uploaded copy of the 501(c) IRS determination letter;
- Uploaded signed and dated 2021 W-9 form;
- Uploaded copy of your organization’s current board of director list. If your organization is a government institution, attach proof of affiliation (written verification from state or local municipality of department/agency affiliation) along with a staff or city/county board list.
- Uploaded letter from the Feeding America or United Way Agency certifying Feeding America or United Way affiliation in good standing dated for 2021.