Food Lion is proud to focus all of our giving efforts on hunger relief via our Food Lion Feeds platform, but we know we can't solve the hunger problem alone. So, we launched the #foodlionfeeds movement to help make it simple for our friends and neighbors to get involved! From donating your spare change or additional canned goods in your own pantry, to volunteering at your local food bank, giving back to those who are making tough choices when it comes to feeding their families is easier than you think.
You can also help #foodlionfeeds
Here are some ideas for how to donate, no matter what you’re able to give.
Holidays can be particularly trying for those struggling to make ends meet for their families. Take some time out of your day to help serve a meal at your local soup kitchen.
Feeding Your Neighbor
- Use dollars earned on Shop & Earn to purchase extra food items to donate to your local food bank
- Clean out your pantry, donating at least 4 non-perishable items to your local food bank
- Reach out to Meals on Wheels, see if even during a quick lunch break you could help deliver a meal to someone in need
- As you wrap up your vacation, donate the food you cannot take home with you to a local agency (refer to map below)
Feeding the Movement
- Do your part to reduce food waste, check out these tips from Feeding America to reduce food waste in your kitchen
- Purchase a Summers Without Hunger Reusable Bag from your local Food Lion. For each $1 bag sold, Food Lion will help provide 6 meals* to Feeding America
- Every time you join the fight against hunger, post on social media with the hashtag #foodlionfeeds to encourage others to join the movement and to see your donation grow. Food Lion Feeds will donate one meal to your local food bank for every post using #foodlionfeeds up to 100,000 meals
- Throw a neighborhood block party. Share the local hunger statistics you learned from the Feeding America site and encourage everyone to bring 4 canned goods to donate
* $1.00 helps provide at least 10 meals secured by Feeding America on behalf of local member food banks. $0.60 from each bag purchase will be donated to Feeding America and member food banks. Food Lion guarantees a minimum donation of $100,000 from June 6-June 30, 2018 through the purchase of each bag.
- Learn more about the hunger crisis in America and your local community so you can educate and encourage others to help. Check out the national hunger statistics on the Feeding America site and learn about hunger in your own community here; "Map the Gap"
- Share what you learned with 4 of your friends and family members
- For all the big milestones in your life i.e. weddings, birthdays and anniversaries, in lieu of gifts, encourage friends and family to donate to Feeding America