- 20 minutes
- 2 hours
- Place chicken thighs on baking sheet and cook in 375 degree oven for 45 minutes.
- Chop bacon and cook until just crisp, strain and remove to medium pot. Reserve ¼ cup of the bacon fat.
- In the remaining bacon fat (add a little butter or olive oil if needed) saute chopped onion, celery, carrots, and green pepper until onion is translucent and vegetables are just soft. Add crushed garlic near end. Strain vegetables and add to bacon in pot.
- Add the reserved ¼ cup bacon fat back to pan with flour and cook on medium low heat until the color of peanut butter. Add to pot and stir to coat vegetables.
- Break up the cooked chicken and add to pot along with any drippings. Add remainder of ingredients (except rice and shrimp) to pot and simmer for 90 minutes. Add shrimp and continue to simmer for another 20 minutes.
- Serve over cooked rice.