- 25 minutes
- 45-50 minutes
- 16 two-inch squares
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use two long pieces of aluminum foil to cover an 8-inch square metal, ceramic, or glass baking pan, layering the pieces across one another and folding the edges over the sides of the pan.
In a small (1 ½ quart) heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt the butter and chocolate together over low heat, mixing frequently to ensure the chocolate doesn’t burn.
- Transfer the pan from the heat once the chocolate is nearly melted and keep stirring to melt completely.
Use a silicone spatula to scrape the melted chocolate into a large mixing bowl. Add in the
applesauce and vanilla extract, then combine in the sugar and salt until the mixture forms a grainy batter.
Whip in the eggs one at a time, making sure the each individual egg is fully combined before adding the next.
Gently mix in ¼ cup of the almond flour at a time, and then add in the almonds.
- Transfer the batter into the lined baking pan, covering the pan evenly.
- Make the Almond Butter Swirl by using a silicone spatula or electric hand mixer on low speed to whip the almond butter, sugar, and apple sauce together.
Place individual spoonfuls of the almond butter swirl over the brownie batter and use the tip of a butter knife to gently swirl into the batter, being careful not to cut the foil that is lining the pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until a toothpick or small knife inserted into the center