- 20 minutes
- 35 minutes
With its spicy kick of flavor and staying power in the fridge for leftovers, nothing beats a hearty tortilla soup. For moms and dads who want to gets the kids to like a more diverse menu, this recipe is easy to follow and is sure to please the whole family. Plus, everyone gets to snack on the cooked tortilla strips while the soup is cooking. Not too many though, as you'��ll need plenty for garnish when your soup is ready!
- Grill or bake chicken seasoned with salt, pepper, lime juice and zest, cilantro and chipotle seasoning. Set aside to rest. Do not slice until you're ready to add it to the broth.
Cut tortillas into thin strips. Heat oil over medium high in a large pot and add tortilla strips. Cook until crispy, stirring regularly, but use care not to crush strips. Drain cooked tortilla strips over wire rack and then place on paper towels to absorb excess oil. Sprinkle with salt.
- Add garlic, dry spices and onion and reduce heat to medium until onions are coated in spices. Add canned tomatoes with liquid. Mash chicken bouillon cubes in small bowl and stir into pot. Add bay leaf, water, salt, 4 sprigs of cilantro leaves (with stems) and slightly less than half of the tortilla strips. Simmer soup without lid for 30 minutes.
- After removing the bay leaf, puree the soup. For best results, use a handheld blender. If none is available, mix in a blender however, use caution as the heat can cause the top to pop off. When soup is blended, return it to the pot to continue cooking on low heat.
- Shred the chicken against the grain, so it pulls apart and add it to the broth and stir until chicken is hot, about 2 minutes.
- Pour soup into bowls and garnish with avocado slices, tortilla strips, chopped cilantro leaves and squeeze of lime.