- 20 minutes
- 90 minutes
- Poke each sweet potato with a fork several times. Bake the sweet potatoes in a 400-degree oven for approximately an hour. It could take a bit longer—you want them to be soft. When they’re done, take them out and let them cool for a few minutes.
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove, place on paper towels to drain.
- In the same skillet, toss in the chopped apples and the sage. Cook until the apples are soft (but not applesauce).
- Chop up the bacon and throw it back in the skillet and heat thoroughly with the apples. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Slice open the top of each sweet potato. Carefully, without injuring the skin, scoop out each sweet potato with a spoon and place the cooked sweet potato in a bowl.
- Add the butter, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, brown sugar, and salt. Mix the ingredients thoroughly.
- Place the sweet potato mixture in a piping bag and pipe back into the sweet potato skins (fill them about ¾ full).
- Take the apple bacon topping and fill the rest of the sweet potato skins and heap it up on the tops. If you need to warm it back up, pop back in the oven but watch it carefully.