- 24 hours
- 5 hours
- 10 to 12
- Prepare the turkey for roasting, then place it in a large roasting pan.
- In a bowl, combine the apple juice, bourbon, and brown sugar.
- Soak your cheesecloth in the apple juice mixture, then wring it out and place it over the turkey. Pour the remaining apple juice mixture over the cheesecloth to coat the turkey.
- Cover the turkey and place in the refrigerator for a day.
- Remove the turkey from the roasting pan, remove the cheesecloth, and preserve the liquid in a bowl.
- Salt and pepper the turkey thoroughly.
- In the bottom of the roasting pan, place the celery, carrots, apples, and onions. Place the turkey on top (breast-side up). Pour the reserved liquid over the turkey.
- Roast for approximately 4 hours in a 325-degree oven until the turkey reaches an internal temperature of 165 to 170 degrees Fahrenheit as determined by a meat thermometer. Baste frequently with the pan juices.
- Once the turkey is cooked, remove from the oven and transfer to a platter.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and mix with the flour until it's smooth, then slowly add 3 cups of liquid from the roasting pan by straining it into a saucepan. Bring to a boil for several minutes, then reduce to a simmer until it thickens.
- Serve the gravy with the turkey and enjoy!