- 1 Hour
- 50 Minutes
- Makes 12 Servings.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a light coat of cooking spray on to a 9x13 baking dish.
- Using a sharpened knife, slice bread into 1-inch cubes and evenly spread out onto a cookie sheet.
- Place in to oven and bake for 15 minutes, turning half way through.
- Combine cream, milk, sugar, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla together in a medium size bowl and whisk.
- Drench the bread crumbs with the mixture, place in refrigerator and let sit for 1 hour, pressing down on the bread after 30 minutes.
- Combine the apple pie filling with the walnuts in a medium size bowl, spread over the top of the bread and sprinkle walnuts evenly over the top.
- Place in to oven uncovered and bake for 50-55 minutes or until browned and puffed on top then remove from oven to let cool while you prepare the sauce.
- To make the sauce, combine light brown sugar, the cornstarch, 1 egg, melted butter, heavy cream, milk, and salt together in a heavy saucepan, whisk until smooth.
- For 10 – 12 minutes over medium heat, whisk constantly until it thickens and covers the back of a spoon.
- When the sauce is done, mix in the vanilla extract, pour in to a bowl served as a side or pour over warm bread pudding.