- 15 minutes
- 25 minutes
Indulge in everyone's favorite comfort food with this Baked White Cheddar Mac and Cheese Recipe. A variety of spices gives just the right amount of kick.
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease a large casserole dish, (or a 9x13 baking dish), and set it aside.
- Boil small elbow noodles in salted water according to package directions, minus two minutes. Drain noodles while the centers are still slightly firm, then add back into their pot. Toss noodles with 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter and set aside.
- Melt remaining 4 Tbsp. of unsalted butter in a large sauce pan over medium-low heat. Once melt-ed, spoon two tablespoons of the melted butter into a bowl with the panko bread crumbs, toss to combine, and set aside.
- Pop the milk and heavy cream into the microwave for 30-45 seconds, or until very warm.
- Whisk the flour into the remaining melted butter, and allow to cook together for two minutes, whisking frequently to prevent browning.
- Slowly whisk in the warmed milk and heavy cream in small increments. Continuously whisk as the liquids are added, allowing the sauce to thicken after each addition. Let the sauce come to a sim-mer, and cook for another 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove the sauce from the heat. Whisk in the nutmeg, mustard powder, seasoned salt, and garlic powder. Add all of the pepperjack cheese, and stir until it is melted. Add a half cup of cheddar, stir until it has fully melted into the sauce, then repeat with another half cup of cheddar. Leave re-maining cup of cheddar to the side. Season the cheese sauce with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir the drained pasta into the cheese sauce. Pour half of the mac and cheese into the greased bak-ing dish, and spread it to cover the entire bottom of the baking dish. Sprinkle one half cup of cheddar over the first layer of mac and cheese. Pour remaining half of mac and cheese into the pan, again spreading it to fill the entire dish. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top. Scatter buttered breadcrumbs across the top of the mac and cheese, and bake uncovered for 25-28 minutes, or until golden and bubbly.