- 20 minutes
- 50 minutes
This classic pasta is warm and comforting, and perfect for a crowd! The best part is that this ziti can be assembled up to a day in advance and simply popped into the oven for a quick thirty minutes. Don't expect leftovers when this hits the table!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook ziti according to package directions and set aside in a large casserole dish.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook sausage completely and remove from skillet. Add onions, garlic, and peppers and cook, stirring frequently, until soft, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, slice cooked sausages into bite-size pieces.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt, pepper, and oregano, stirring well. Reduce heat to low and simmer sauce for 10-12 minutes. Return sausage to skillet and simmer an additional five minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Carefully pour sauce over pasta in prepared dish, stirring gently to completely coat the ziti. Sprinkle mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses over the casserole dish. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove foil and bake an additional 8-10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and beginning to brown.
- Serve immediately, garnished with freshly chopped basil.