- 20 minutes
- 20 minutes
- Peel the onions and slice off just enough of the bottom to remove the root stem. Then carefully slice each one into eighths, making sure not to cut all the way through the onion. The base must stay in tact in order for the onion to “bloom.” Using your fingers, carefully separate the new petals.
- Pour the milk into a small bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, chili powder, paprika, salt and pepper and mix together.
- Dunk each onion one at a time in the milk then dredge them in the spice mixture. Repeat the process and continue with every onion, making sure the dry mix gets in between the petals. This is what will cause it to “bloom” when fried.
- When all onions are coated, heat oil to 350 degrees in a heavy pot or cast iron skillet. There should be at least two inches of oil in which to fry. Place no more than 2-3 onions into the oil at a time and fry for about 4 minutes.
- Remove with a slatted spoon and allow to drain on a cooling rack on top of a paper towel or napkin. Repeat with the remainder of the onions.
- When the onions have cooled slightly, serve alongside a serving of spicy chipotle mayo or your favorite snack dip and enjoy warm.