- 30 minutes
- 2 hours
- Sprinkle shanks with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Working in batches, cook shanks until brown on all sides, about 8 minutes. Transfer shanks to plate. Remove shanks from the pot onto a plate.
- Add the onions, carrots and garlic to pot and saute until brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add the wine, tomatoes, beef or chicken stock, rosemary and thyme. Return shanks to the pot, taking care to ensure they are covered by the liquid.
- Add the wine, tomatoes, chicken broth and beef broth, rosemary and thyme.
- Return shanks to pot taking care to ensure they are covered by the liquid. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover, and simmer until meat is tender, about 2 hours.
- Remove the shanks and cook the sauce for up to one additional hour to reduced and thicken it.
- Spoon sauce over shanks and serve.