- 30 minutes
- 1 hour 15 minutes
- Make the pretzel dough: combine water and milk into microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 45 seconds to reach 100 – 110 degrees. Note: if the liquid is too hot it will kill the yeast and the dough will not rise.
- Combine the warm water and milk mixture with the melted butter, brown sugar, and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer. Using a dough hook, mix ingredients together until just combined and let stand for 10 minutes until it becomes frothy.
- With the mixer on stir (or slowest setting), slowly add the salt and bread flour to the bowl. Mix until the flour is incorporated and the dough is no longer sticky. Transfer to a mixing bowl that has been greased with a little canola oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 30 minutes.
- While the dough is rising, preheat oven to 400 degrees and arrange bratwursts on a cooling rack set over a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes, or until the center of the sausages reaches 165 degrees. Remove bratwursts from oven and set aside to let cool. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Return the dough to the mixing bowl and knead on medium-low speed until the dough is smooth and elastic. Transfer dough back to the oiled mixing bowl and let rise again for an hour, or until its doubled in size.
- While the dough is rising again, whisk together all ingredients for the Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce and set aside.
- Divide the dough equally into 8 balls. Roll each ball into a 12-inch rope. Wrap the ropes around the cooked bratwursts and make sure to tuck in the ends of the dough and pinch to seal. Note: If you skip this step, the dough will come off of the bratwursts in the next step.
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large stockpot. Slowly add in the baking soda. Note: if you dump in all of the baking soda at once, it will cause the pot to boil over. Set a cooling rack over a towel on the counter. One at a time, drop the dough-wrapped bratwursts into the boiling water and let cook for 30 seconds. Use a slotted spoon transfer to the bratwurst to the cooling rack. Sprinkle the pretzel salt on them while they are still wet to ensure that the salt sticks.
- Once all bratwursts are boiled, transfer them from the cooling rack to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees or until the pretzel dough is a deep golden brown. Serve hot with the Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce.