- 1 hour
- 70 minutes
- Preparing the crust: Cut the butter into smaller pieces. Add flour, salt and sugar into the food processor. Pulse to combine.
- Add the pieces of butter and cheddar cheese. Pulse until the mixture looks like a coarse texture.
Slowly add water 1 tablespoon at a time until a ball forms. Do not over-mix or add too much water. You may not need all 4 tablespoons of water.
- While the dough rests start on the rest of the apple pie ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Rack should be in lowest position so that the bottom crust cooks.
- Put lemon juice into a large bowl. Core and slice the apples and add to the lemon juice bowl. Keep mixing the juice onto the apples to stop browning.
- Once all the apples are sliced add in the spices, 3/4 cup sugar and 4 tablespoons of flour. Mix to coat evenly.
- Now place 4 tablespoons of unsallted butter into a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until brown bits and a nutty aroma forms. Put into another bowl to allow to cool slightly.
- Next is to roll out the dough. After it has been chilled for an hour remove from the refrigerate and let warm slightly. You should be able to touch it and see a fingerprint for it to be the right temperature to roll out.
- Place some flour on your counter and roll out one of the cheddar crust portions large enough to cover the bottom of a 9-inch pie pan.
- Gently move with a rolling pin to the pie pan. Gently pressing down on the crust to fill the bottom and sides of the pan. Leave excess pie crust for now.
Next you will place apple pie mixture piled into the pie pan. You will then dump the browned butter mixture over the apples. Then place the 2 tablespoons of small sectioned butter onto the top of the apples.
- Now you roll out the top of the pie. Roll it to a generous size so that it fits over the whole pie and apples about 14 inches around.
- On the lower pie crust you will brush the edges with the pie "glue". This will allow the pie crusts to stick together during baking. 2 tablespoons of heavy cream and 2 eggs mixed creates the "glue".
Carefully use a rolling pin to move the top pie crust onto the pie. You will pinch the top and bottom layer of pies together. Remove excess dough. You can decorate with pie cut outs with leftover pie dough or just use a fork to do a basic design.
- Then you will create 4-5 vent holes in the top of the pie.
- You will again use the egg wash pie glue on top of the pie and sprinkle the top with some sugar. I used raw sugar but regular sugar also works.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 425° then lower the tempeature to 375° F. Continue to bake for 45-60 more minutes. Juices will be bubbly and the crust will be golden brown. If it begins to brown too much you may cover it with aluminum foil so that the pie rim does not over brown.