- 10 Minutes
- 50 Minutes
- Makes 6-8 Servings.
If you're a veggie lover looking for a cheesy and creamy au gratin recipe, look no further! Top off this veggie casserole with cheese and crispy breadcrumbs for the perfect side dish.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring a large pot with enough water to contain the vegetables to a boil, then add broccoli, cauliflower, and Brussels sprouts. Cover and boil for 5-8 minutes or until the veggies are just tender enough to stab with a fork. Strain and immediately dump into an ice bath to stop the cooking process and keep the veggies from getting mushy. Transfer to a casserole dish.
- While veggies cook, heat the oil in a pot over medium heat, then add the onion and sauté until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Next, add the butter or margarine to the onions and reduce heat to medium-low. Add in flour one Tablespoon at a time, whisking to combine. Stir until a smooth paste forms and the mixture starts to smell nutty, then add the coconut milk and regular milk and stir consistently until the mixture begins to thicken. Add half the Gouda and cheddar and the salt and pepper and stir until melted and incorporated, cooking for several minutes more until sauce thickens to nearly a fondue consistency.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the vegetables and stir carefully to incorporate, ensuring sauce gets evenly distributed. Top with the other half of the cheese and breadcrumbs and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly, then serve hot.