- 4 Hours
- 45 Minutes
- Makes 8 Servings.
This butterscotch pie recipe is made up of three parts: the filling, the pie crust, and the meringue top. Get the recipe for butterscotch pie!
- In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, cream, and butter. Cook over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes until it is thick. Remove from heat.
- Add in 2 cups of milk, a little at a time, stirring constantly.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cornstarch, egg yolks, vanilla, and 1 tablespoon of milk. Stir until smooth, then add to the brown sugar/milk mixture. Return the saucepan to medium heat and cook, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Pour the mixture into the pre-baked pie crust.
- In a bowl, place the egg white and salt. Beat on high until it is slightly stiff. Slowly add the sugar and beat until you have stiff white peaks.
- Spread the mixture on top of the butterscotch pie. Bake in a 350-degree oven for 15 to 17 minutes until the meringue is golden brown.
- Place on a wire rack until cool, then refrigerate for several hours before serving. Enjoy!