- 30 minutes
- 1.5 hours
- Remove the top 2-3 leaves of the cabbage. Place the whole cabbage in a large, deep pot and add just enough water to cover the cabbage.
- Bring the water to a boil and turn the cabbage every few minutes.
- Continue this until the leaves are soft and can easily be pierced with a fork, about 15 minutes. Remove the cabbage, let cool and then cut the thick ends off.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the beef, egg, rice, onion, salt, pepper, and garlic.
- Lay 1 cabbage leaf on a clean surface, scoop a small amount of beef mixture into the center of the cabbage leaf and fold the cabbage leaves and roll up. Repeat this process with the remaining cabbage leaves and beef mixture.
- Pour a thin layer of tomato sauce on the bottom of the baking pan and then place the cabbage rolls, seam down, in the pan. You don't need to space the rolls out too much. Pour the remaining sauce over the rolls.
- Cover the pan in aluminum foil and bake for 2 1/2 hours. Each 1/2 hour, scoop the juices at the bottom of the pan over top the rolls to keep them juicy and to prevent them from drying out.