- 20 minutes
- 10 minutes
- 24 cookie sandwiches
Indulge in a chocolate cookie sandwich filled with homemade vanilla peppermint frosting and crumbled peppermint candy pieces.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment. Add sugar and butter to a large bowl and use a hand mixer to beat until smooth.
- Mix in egg and milk until well blended.
- In a different bowl, mix together baking powder, flour and cocoa. Add ingredients to the first bowl and mix until combined.
- Separate cookie dough into tablespoons and arrange onto the prepared cooking sheet.
- Bake for about 6 to 8 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on the cookie sheet for 2 to 3 minutes before moving them to a cooling rack.
- To make the frosting, start by beating the butter until smooth. Mix in half of the powdered sugar until smooth, and then mix in vanilla and peppermint extracts, 2 tablespoons water, and a pinch of salt until smooth.
- Mix in the remaining powdered sugar. Add desired amount of red gel color to color frosting.
- Assemble cookie sandwiches by first spreading frosting onto one cookie, then adding a second cookie on top.
- Lay crushed candy canes on a plate and roll cookie sandwiches so that candy cane pieces stick to the frosting. Serve or store cookies in a container at room temperature for up to 3 days.