- 3 hours
- 10 minutes
- 24 to 30 cookies
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the sugar, butter, cream, vanilla, and peppermint extract
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Add the dry ingredients to the batter in the stand mixer and combine until it forms a dough.
- Remove half of the dough from the bowl and set aside. Add red food coloring to the remaining dough.
- Mix until it reaches your desired shade of red. Place both sets of dough in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Lightly flour your work surface and roll the uncolored dough into strips about 8 inches long and ½ inch wide.
- Repeat with the red dough.
- Take one strip of uncolored dough and one strip of red dough and place them side by side. Pinch the two pieces together at the top.
- Twist them in a spiral fashion. Pinch the bottom ends of the dough.
- Bend the top of the strips into a cane shape. Chill in the refrigerator for about 45 minutes before baking
- Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the cookies with white sugar. Bake in a 375-degree oven for approximately 10 minutes. Sprinkle with the dust of crushed peppermint candies if you wish.