- 15 minutes
- 20 minutes
- Makes about 4 cups
- Stir together the vinegar and tomato paste in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large sautee pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 4 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium; stir in the eggplant, tomatoes, and parsley. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the basil and capers. Season with pepper and salt to taste.
- Serve immediately while warm. Or, refrigerate in a covered bowl, and serve later chilled or at room temperature.