- 20 minutes
- 30 minutes
- Makes 12 appetizers
Caramelized onions? Oh, yes! Mozzarella cheese? Puff pastry? Even better!
- Bake the puff pastry shells as directed.
- While the puff pastries bake, peel and slice the onions. Heat butter in a large skillet, then add the onions and sugar. Stir frequently as the onions cook to a golden brown.
- When the process of caramelizing the onions is complete and the puff pastries are finished, remove the tops of the pastry shells and some of the layers of interior dough and discard.
- Place 1 to 2 tablespoon of shredded mozzarella in the bottom of each of the pastry shells, then fill each shell to the top with caramelized onions.
- Place in a 375-degree oven for 5 minutes, to allow the mozzarella to melt slightly
- Serve warm.
- VARIATIONS: You can try other types of cheese, such as Camembert, feta, goat cheese, or Brie.