- 10 Minutes
- 45 Minutes
- 8 - 10
Looking for easy supper ideas? This gumbo-like rice dish is well-liked in Charleston, South Carolina. Learn how to make red rice for dinner today!
- In a large, deep pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat and sauté the onions, the peppers, and the garlic for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the sausage slices and continue cooking for another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring continuously, for another 3 to 5 minutes.
- At this point, add the water, the tomato paste, the paprika, the pepper, the salt, and the brown sugar. Mix everything well.
- Reduce the heat to low and cover. Cook for about 20 minutes. You’ll need to stir it frequently.
- If it gets too thick, stir in another cup of water.
- Continue cooking until the rice is done.
- 8. Taste before serving—add additional salt, pepper, or paprika if needed.