- 20 Minutes
- 90 Minutes
- 4 - 6
If you haven't heard of Cheerwine, it's a well-known NC soda and it works surprisingly well in BBQ sauce. Discover the sweet and tangy flavor today!
- In a large skillet, melt the butter and add the garlic and onion. Saute for about 5 to 7 minutes until softened.
- Add in the ketchup, Cheerwine, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, smoked paprika, pepper, brown sugar, and ground mustard. Mix all ingredients together and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the temperature and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the sauce begins to thicken, stirring occasionally. Split the sauce into two equal portions; half is for basting the chicken while grilling, the other half should be saved to serve with the cooked chicken, so keep the two portions separate.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken on the grill, bone-side down, then cover the grill so it roasts the chicken slowly. After 20 minutes or so, turn the chicken pieces over. Cook another 20 minutes, covered.
- Baste the chicken with the Cheerwine sauce and continue to cook, uncovered, turning the chicken as needed. Cook until the internal temperature of the chicken is at least 165 to 170 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Serve with the previously reserved (heated) Cheerwine sauce.