- 20 minutes
- 1 hour
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare and pan pie crust per crusts recipe.
- In a large saucepan, cook the cherries, lemon juice, 1¼ cup sugar, the salt and cornstarch until the cherries release their juice and the juice thickens about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the remaining berries.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. With a fork or pastry cutter, cut the bitter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse sand and the butter pieces are no larger than the size of small peas.
- Place the pie pan on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Fill the pie shell with the berries mixture, maintaining a ½ inch clearance from the top of the pies rim and the top of the filling. The clearance is needed to prevent spillovers. Sprinkle the crumb mixture over the top of the berries.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the crumb topping is golden brown. Allow to cool completely before serving.