- 30 minutes
- 5 hours
- 6 to 8
Warm up on a cold, rainy day with this hearty slow cooker dish of seasoned chicken, dumplings, carrots and celery all soaked in a creamy chicken soup.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and place them in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Place the carrots, onion, and celery over the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Pour in the soup and broth.
- Add the thyme and parsley and lightly stir.
- Cover and cook on high for approximately 4 hours
- Remove the chicken breasts and shred the meat. Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker.
- In a bowl, place the flour, cornmeal, baking soda, baking powder, parsley, and thyme.
- Add the milk and butter to the dry ingredients and gently combine to form a dough.
- Divide the dough for your dumplings; each should be approximately ¼ cup of dough. Drop them into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for another 30 minutes.