- 20 minutes
- 25 minutes
This flavorful skillet full of delicious fruits and veggies (and bacon of course!) is a go-to for an easy but healthy summer dinner.
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Once very warm, add the chicken and season with salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. Brown on all sides, using tongs to move the chicken around. Cook until lightly golden brown and remove from the pan and place on a plate.
- Reduce the skillet to medium low heat and add the bacon. Push around with a wooden spoon or turn with a pair of tongs.
- Cover with a piece of aluminum foil to keep the grease splattering to a minimum. Once the bacon is browned, remove with a slotted spoon and set on the plate with the chicken.
- Remove all but about 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat from the pan.
- Add the onion and sweet potato, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon. Cook until the onions look translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add the apples, brussels sprouts, garlic, and thyme leaves. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Then add the chicken broth. Stir and continue to cook for about 3-4 minutes, or until the apples are slightly softened.
- Stir in the reserved bacon and chicken. Serve immediately.