- 15 minutes
- 20 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Cut the chicken lengthwise all the way through, starting at the thickest part of the breast. Season each piece with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken in batches until golden brown, about three minutes on each side. Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in the same skillet. Add the onion and the pepper and cook until tender, about five minutes. Add the garlic and cook one additional minute.
- Pour in the wine and scrape up the brown bits on the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Stir in the tomato sauce, oregano, sugar, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper and butter.
- Cook the sauce over medium heat, partially covered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place the chicken in the pan, covering with the sauce. Sprinkle the parmesan and mozzarella over the chicken.
- Transfer pan to oven, bake the chicken until sauce is bubbling and cheese is melted and golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Allow the chicken to sit for 5 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a serving platter and garnish with basil leaves.
- Toss the cooked pasta with the remaining sauce in the skillet. Serve the chicken with spaghetti.