- 35 minutes
- 35 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare Ramekins: Butter 12 small ramekins or a large gratin dish. Dust ramekins with granulated sugar.
- Whisk the egg yolks in a bowl with the 1/2 cup sugar.
- Heat the butter, milk, and cream in a saucepan over medium heat until steamy but not boiling.
Turn off the heat and add the chocolates, salt, vanilla, nutmeg, and Kahlùa. Stir to mix.
- Temper the egg yolks/sugar mixture by pouring a small amount of the heated bread pudding liquid mixture into the egg yolk/sugar mixture.
Next, while whisking, pour over the egg yolks/sugar mixture into the bread pudding mixture.
- Gently fold in the bread cubes.
- Let sit for 5 to 10 minutes to let bread get nicely hydrated.
Transfer the pudding mixture to ramekins (filled just up to the top) and put on a baking sheet, or use a gratin pan. Bake until nicely browned and set, about 35 minutes (for ramekins) and 50 minutes for gratin pan.
- For the sauce: : Combine 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/4 cup water, in a small saucepan. DO NOT STIR. Bring to a boil and cook until the caramel browns. When the caramel is medium brown, remove from heat and carefully add 1 cup of cream a little at a time while whisking and simmer. Add Kahlùa and a splash of vanilla.