- 15 minutes
- 40 minutes
- Makes 12 servings
- Chop half of maraschino cherries (the contents of one jar) into quarters. Leave the remaining jar of cherries whole to reserve as garnish for the top of the cake.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, place the cake mix, the Cheerwine, the oil, the eggs, reserved cherry liquid from one jar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat on medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes. Mix in ¾ cup of chocolate chips for about 30 seconds, then add in the chopped cherries and mix again for approximately 20 seconds.
- Pour the batter into a greased and floured 13x9-inch pan. Bake in a 350-degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- In a bowl, combine the vanilla frosting, the marshmallow cream, and the 2 teaspoons of vanilla. Add a bit of milk if it seems too thick. Frost the cake.
- Sprinkle the top of the cake with the remaining ¼ cup of chocolate chips.
- Cut into 12 equal pieces and place one or two whole maraschino cherries on the top of each piece if desired.