- 45 minutes
- 40 minutes
No matter what time of year it is tomato soup always seems like a great idea, especially with a juicy shrimp and cheesy toast point atop it. This savory tomato soup is so rich and hearty, the shrimp cheese toast barely makes a dent in the surface of the soup. Because this is a chunky soup, it does not require straining, which cuts the prep time. The crispy toast point and sweetness of the shrimp is a perfect medley of flavors, all in a single bite.
- In a large pot, sauté onion in butter until translucent. Add celery and carrots and cook until tender. Alternate adding broth and flour a little at a time.
- Mash chicken bouillon cube and stir in. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, salt and pepper. Simmer until soup thickens. Do not boil. Stir vigorously.
- While soup is cooking, salt and sauté shrimp in butter until cooked, when shrimp is no longer transparent.
- Slice bread thinly, first horizontally and then vertically to create toast points. Brush with butter and broil in oven â do not brown toast points.
- Remove toast points, add a slice to cheese and return to broiler to melt. Slice shrimp horizontally and set aside.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with cheesy toast points topped with sliced shrimp. Serve immediately.