- 40 minutes
- 30 minutes
- Makes 24
These delectable churro cupcakes are made with vanilla cake, topped with a home-made cinnamon vanilla frosting, and completed with warm, doughy churros, sprinkled with a sweet sugar coating for the perfect treat.
- To make the churro:
- In a medium saucepan, place the water, brown sugar, salt, and canola oil and bring to a boil.
- Remove from the heat and add the flour, stirring vigorously. Add the egg and stir until everything is well combined. Let it cool for a few minutes.
- In a large deep skillet, place about 2 inches of canola oil. Bring the oil to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the dough in a pastry bag, and use a large star tip to pipe 4-inch lengths of dough and lay them carefully in the hot oil. Be careful not to splash. Let these cook for several minutes until they're golden brown. Use a slotted spoon to remove them and transfer them to paper towels for a few moments. In a separate shallow dish, place the sugar and cinnamon and mix together.
- Toss the churros into the sugar mixture and then set them on a plate.
- To make the cupcakes
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the butter and sugar until fluffy and creamy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and the vanilla and cream.
- Add the flour mixture to the bowl and mix well.
- Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners and spoon the cupcake dough into the cups (don't go over 2/3 full in each cup).
- Bake in a 350-degree oven for approximately 20 minutes (use a toothpick to test for doneness).
- To make the frosting
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Add in the cinnamon, milk, and vanilla.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar, one cup at a time, until you reach your desired frosting consistency.
- When the cupcakes are cool, place the frosting in a pastry bag with a star tip and pipe the frosting on the top of each cupcake.
- Mix together ¼ cup sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon and sprinkle this mixture over the frosting of each cupcake and then top with churros. (You can break the churros into smaller pieces if needed.)