- 24 hours
- 4 hours
- To create the citrus brine, in a bowl, combine the lemon zest, orange zest, thyme, pepper, rosemary, garlic, bay leaf, salt, and apple juice.
- Prepare the turkey for cooking.
- Take a brining bag and place the turkey inside.
- Roll down the sides of the bag so you can work more easily. Take your citrus brine and pour/rub it all over the turkey.
- Roll up the sides of the bag and get as much air out of the bag as you can, then twist-tie it shut. Place the turkey in the refrigerator (in a leak-proof pan) for a day.
- Remove the turkey from the bag and place on a rack in a roasting pan. (Discard the bag of brine.) Dry the turkey with paper towels and let it sit at room temperature for about 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Fill the cavity of the turkey with the lemons, oranges, and onions.
- Place in the oven for 30 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350 degrees and continue to cook until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 to 170 degrees Fahrenheit (use a meat thermometer to verify the temperature). Lightly cover the turkey with aluminum foil if it starts to brown too quickly.
- Serve and enjoy!