- 20 minutes
- 60 minutes
A lemon pound cake topped with a sweetened cranberry sauce. A perfect citrus fall treat.
- Soften butter and margarine slightly by sitting out at room temperature.
- Zest a large lemon and set zest aside. Cream butter, margarine and sugar in a mixing bowl. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well with each addition. Add vanilla and lemon zest. Mix.
- Mix the flour and the baking powder in a separate bowl.
- Add dry ingredients alternatively with the cup of warm water. Starting and ending with the water. Scrape down the bowl to ensure it is well mixed.
- Lightly spray a tube pan with cooking spray and flour the pan as well to prevent sticking. Pour the cake batter into the tube pan.
- Put the pan into a COLD oven. Turn the oven to 350°F for one hour. A toothpick will come out clean when it is done. Cool slightly then remove from the tube pan onto a plate.
- While the cake is baking, prepare the cranberry syrup. Place the cranberries, water, sugar into a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat bringing to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until the cranberries fall apart. This should take 15-20 minutes. Strain the mixture into a bowl using a fine mesh strainer. Let the mixture strain for an hour. It will cool as it is straining. Store in a refrigerator when not using. This mixture makes roughly a cup of syrup. Recipe can be multiplied for more syrup.
- Serve syrup over cake.