- 20 Minutes
- 1 Hour 5 Minutes
- 4 - 6
- Remove the stew meat from the packaging, and place onto a large plate or platter. Season the beef with 1 teaspoon sea salt, tossing the beef to coat each piece in a bit of salt, and allow to rest for 15 minutes.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Working in batches, brown the stew meat on all sides. Once browned, remove the meat to a clean platter until ready to use.
- Turn the heat of the pot down to medium. Once the pot has cooled a bit, add the onion to the pot. Use a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot, mixing them into the onions and beef fat. Add a splash more oil if the pot seems too dry.
- Once the onions have been mixed into the browned bits, add the garlic, bay leaves, crushed red pepper, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix to combine all ingredients, and cook for 5-7 minutes until onions and garlic are very fragrant and softened.
- Add browned beef back into the pot, along with the crushed tomatoes and water. Stir to combine. Allow the soup to come to a simmer, then turn the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add chopped okra, and simmer another 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until okra is softened. Taste and season with additional salt or pepper, if desired.
- Ladle soup immediately into serving bowls, and serve hot!