- 15 minutes
- 40 minutes
- 1 pie - 8 servings
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Prick the bottom and sides of the piecrust with a fork. Bake according to package directions for a one-crust pie. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the 2 cups milk and 3/4 cup sugar. Bring the liquid to a simmer over medium heat.
- Whisk the egg yolks together. Gradually stir in 2 tablespoons of the hot milk. Then whisk this mixture into the hot milk in the pan.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in the remaining 1/4 cup milk. Whisk the mixture into the hot milk.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat and then reduce to a simmer. Cook, stirring constantly until the filling is thick, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the vanilla, coconut, and butter. Mix well.
Pour the filling into the baked and cooled crust. Refrigerate until completely cool and set, about 30 minutes.
Using an electric mixer in a medium bowl, whip the egg whites to soft peaks. Add the remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Continue to whip until stiff peaks form.
Spread the egg white mixture over the top of the pie. Place the pie in the preheated oven for about 4 minutes or until the meringue is lightly browned.