- 2 hours
- 25 minutes
Don't be afraid of tart raw cranberries--just a few minutes on the stove and they turn into sweet, delicious sauce for this crumbly, delicious dessert. Frozen puff pastry also comes folded, making forming the strudel a true piece of cake. Just remember not to thaw the pastry until you've completely finished the filling and allowed it to chill, warm puff pastry won't puff!
- In a saucepan, combine sugars, cranberries, cornstarch and orange juice. Gradually bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. Cranberries will burst and thicken. If cranberry skins begin to burn, reduce heat to low. Continue cooking for 10-15 minutes or until mixture is the consistency of jam. Cover and chill 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Thaw puff pastry at room temperature for 45 minutes, or until pliable but still cold to the touch.
- Spread cranberry filling down the center of the pastry sheet. Sprinkle with walnuts.
- Using a pairing knife, cut slits down the outside edges of the pastry sheet. Fold the strips of dough over the filling, pressing with wet fingertips to seal.
- Using a pastry brush or small spoon, brush beaten egg over strudel. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
- Serve warm, topped with whipped cream.