- 45 minutes
- 15 minutes
Even the most skilled bakers can foil a pumpkin roll. It's complicated and requires items many home cooks don't have in their kitchens. But it's a perfect recipe to try if you want to savor the flavors of fall or make a treat that wins smiles any time of year. This recipe is a little different than most you'll find online or in cookbooks, adding an extra layer of crunch and flavor in every bite thanks to crushed pistachio nuts and dashes of cinnamon, ground cloves and nutmeg instead of plain powdered sugar topping.
- Grind pistachios in food processor and set aside. Separate 1 / 4 for garnish.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat eggs and sugar in a large mixing bowl and add all other ingredients for the cake.
- Grease the jelly roll pan and line it with waxed paper. Next, butter and flour the waxed paper so the cake doesn't stick.
- Spoon cake batter into jelly roll pan and make sure it is evenly spread to each corner. Bake for 13-15 minutes -- watch carefully -- do not let overcook or cake will break during rolling.
- When cake is baked, place a dishtowel over jell roll pan and turn upside down so cake is downward facing on towel. Remove all wax paper and any crispy edges. Roll the cake while still warm and let cool. .
- Make cream cheese filling. Unroll cake onto large cookie sheet and spread a layer of cream cheese filling. Next, evenly sprinkle a layer of pistachios onto filling. Reroll cake into tin foil or a new sheet of wax paper and refrigerate. After about 30 minutes, remove from fridge and remove wax paper or foil. Slice and place on a serving platter. Sprinkle remaining pistachios, cinnamon, ground cloves and nutmeg and serve.