- 10 minutes
- 30 minutes
Calling all chocholics...this recipe is for YOU! Decadent may be an understatement with two chocolate cake layers in between velvety chocolate frosting.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease three 9" round pans.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, mix the egg, milk, oil and vanilla until smooth. Add in the coffee and mix. Slowly, begin to fold in the dry mixture and continue to mix until well combined.
- Split the batter between the three baking pans and and bake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, whip the butter in a mixing bowl until creamy. Add in the powdered sugar and cocoa and continue to whip. Add the milk and vanilla. If the icing needs to be thinned, add a little bit more milk.
- Remove the cake from the oven, let stand for 5 minutes. Remove the cake from the pans and let cool completely.
- Place one cake on a plate and add about 1/2 cup of the icing on top. Place the next cake on top and add about 1/2 cup icing on top of that. Add the third cake layer and use the rest of the icing to frost the outside of the cake. Enjoy!