- 3 hours
- 18 doughnuts and holes
Enjoy your favorite flavor of ice cream between two delicious glazed, chocolate covered doughnuts.
- In a stand mixer, mix the lukewarm water, warm milk, yeast and sugar with a spoon. Add the dough attachment and incorporate the eggs, flour and salt. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Add the softened butter and mix in well. Push the dough down off the hook attachment with your clean hands and continue to incorporate the butter until you have a smooth dough.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured work surface and knead for 4-5 minutes. Shape into a round. Spray the mixing bowl with cooking spray or lightly brush with canola oil. Place the dough back into the bowl, with the rounded part facing up. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled in size, about an hour. Punch down and knead again for a few minutes. Place back into the greased bowl and let rise for another hour.
- Place the dough onto a floured work surface and roll out with a rolling pin. Roll it out to be about 3/4-inch thick. Cut out using a 3 1/2- inch doughnut cutter. Place the doughnuts gently onto parchment lined half sheet pans. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise on the counter until doubled, about 1 hour. (Or make the doughnuts at night and let proof in the refrigerator overnight)
- Fry doughnuts in canola oil heated to 375 degrees F about 1-2 minutes per side, flipping only once. Only fry about 4 to 5 doughnuts at a time, making sure they have enough room. Use a slotted spoon to remove the doughnuts from the hot oil. Place on a half sheet pan lined with paper towels.
- Whisk together the glaze ingredients. The glaze should be fairly thin. Dip warm doughnuts into the glaze and let drip dry on a baking rack, set on top of a half sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- Cut the doughnuts in half with a sharp knife. Scoop ice cream and place on the bottom half of a doughnut. Place the top of the doughnut on and press down gently.
- Heat chocolate in either a double boiler or in the microwave. Stir with a spoon until smooth. Dip doughnuts into melted chocolate and roll in desired toppings. Place the prepared doughnuts on a half sheet pan and put back into the freezer for the ice cream to set up.