- 20 minutes
- 8 minutes
- 32 cookies
Easy to mix up, quick to bake; drop batter from tablespoon onto cookie sheet - a real time saver over roll-out cookies, but just as good. These cookies have a mild molasses flavor, are not too sweet and are great for lunchbox or party. The taste will remind you of your grandmother's holiday gingerbread men cookies, but fast and easy to make.
- With a spoon, mix together softened shortening (margarine or butter) and sugar in a mixing bowl until well blended and creamy yellow.
- Add small egg and mix well.
- In a separate small bowl or measuring cup, mix together the molasses and milk and then add the mixture to the shortening, sugar, egg mixture and mix well.
- Add dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt and spices), and mix until well blended (with a spoon/no mixer needed). Batter will be thick but easy to spoon onto cookie sheet.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie baking sheet and bake for 8 minutes. When done, cookie should not show an indent when gently touched with your finger.
- Remove cookies from baking pan and place on wire racks to cool. Store cooled cookies in covered plastic container or ziploc bag to stay fresh.