- 10 minutes
Combine all the flavors of fried chicken and steak and gravy in under 30 minutes and have a splendid supper tonight.
- In a bowl, mix together the egg and milk.
- In a separate shallow bowl, mix together the flour, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat the canola oil and butter over medium heat.
- Place each cube steak in the flour mixture and coat both sides.
- Take the coated steak and dip it in the egg and milk mixture.
- Return to the flour mixture and coat both sides again.
- Place the coated cube steaks in the hot oil.
- Cook the steaks until they are golden brown (3 to 4 minutes per side, or until the internal temperature reaches at least 160 degrees Fahrenheit when measured with a meat thermometer).
- When all of the steaks are finished cooking, remove them from the oil. Line a plate with paper towels and place the steaks there while you make the gravy. (You might want to cover them to keep them warm.)
- Carefully pour off all but 1/3 cup of the grease from the skillet. Start to add the gravy ingredients, beginning by whisking the flour slowly into the grease. Continue whisking until it reaches a paste-like consistency.
- Slowly add the milk, whisking continually.
- Add the salt and pepper and continue whisking and cooking until the gravy reaches the consistency you desire (this takes several minutes). If it gets too thick, add more milk; if it's too thin, add more flour or cook longer. Add additional salt and pepper if needed to suit your taste preferences.
- Serve the steaks with the gravy poured over them.