- 5 minutes
- 20 minutes
Think crab cake, but with fish! Gefilte fish is an easy yet light and fresh dish for any occasion!
- In a small pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat and sweat onion until soft, around 5 minutes. Let cool.
- Finely chop fish and place in a bowl
- Add the cooled onions, eggs, matzo meal, parsley, salt, and pepper. Combine.
- The mixture should be firm enough to form. If too soft, add more matzo meal, if to hard add more fish stock.
- Form fish mixture into palm sized balls and set aside. This should yield 12 balls.
- Add balls to simmering broth and simmer until cooked through, around 10 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and dry on paper towel.
- To make sauce, combine all ingredients and briefly mix.
- Serve gefilte fish either room temperature or cold on a bed of lettuce or greens of your choice with the sauce.