- 15 Minutes
- 45 Minutes
- Makes 6 Servings
- Melt the butter in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions, garlic & brown sugar and cook about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened. Continue cooking, stirring often, until the onions are deep golden in color & caramelized. Roughly 15 minutes.
- Stir in potatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and sprinkle the flour over the onions and potatoes, stirring for 3-5 minutes, until the raw flour taste is eliminated.
- Add the wine, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, and thyme. Increase the heat to medium-high and return the soup to a simmer for about 20 minutes (or until the potatoes are fork tender).
- Season with salt and pepper. Preheat broiler to high.
- Ladle the soup into oven safe bowls. Add a slice of bread to each and top evenly with cheese. Place each soup bowl on a baking sheet and transfer to the oven, broil until bubbly & golden brown (roughly 3-5 minutes). Enjoy!